Thursday, December 22, 2011

Parents know best

It's almost a year now, I last seen myself living and indulging in worldly vices and lifestyle. Two years of working in the call center industry influenced me so much I didn't realize I wasn't anymore "being the real me." I was on the verge of being transformed to someone unlikely to be me. I wasn't attuned of who I was becoming then and I thought it was okay and I thought it was cool. For sure, I was creating a negative self-image for myself. Unfortunately, I didn't see that coming.

Being a spontaneous person worries my parents a lot. The decision to give BPO a try was one of these. It made my parents really worried for quite a while because of the environment I'd be immersed in PLUS they pointed out I didn't need and have to be there. Yet, I insisted. This has been why it was a great relief for them (I know my father would agree) when I resigned. As it turned out, their instinct was right.

One thing or another, I became the person my parents would not wish for their child to become. Don't get me wrong, I was not that worst! hahahah. It just became a big of a deal for my family because they weren't used to seeing me that different (A negative version of me according to them).

One thing I learned, though. No matter how negatively influenced we are, our own values and learning from our parents will always emerge. Sometimes, we take for granted the advices of our parents and think it was nothing and that they just feel like talking or nagging; UNTIL something happens that we suddenly realize how IMPORTANT each one is. Then, we begin to remember everything they have said. They really have the best interest at heart. And I guess it's safe to say, if you want to get to know someone, it's a must to look at his/her family background first. Use your head more than your heart. It must be based on facts not emotions.

My experiences taught me a lot and I rely on them for my personal growth. As I would always say, "I learn by doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment