Friday, October 16, 2015

Right School. Right Time. Right People.


Note: It is a long entry because I am grateful and extremely joyful.  I want to write about it so whenever I will have missed it in the future I could go back to this post and remind myself of this beautiful experience.

Photo from Slim's FB page


Thank You

I will begin by saying Thank you God for leading me to the right school at the right time to meet the right people.

If I had taken BS Entrepreneurship Minor in Fashion in college, I do not think I would be led to the best.  I would not meet Mr. Mark  Higgins; meet my teachers who are excellent at what they do; be part of exhibits; and learn about one of our country's legendary couturiers, Salvacion Lim.

Exhibit 2015 entry
Exhibit 2014 entry

Getting there

I could say that I have not waited anything in my life than the moment to finally do what I love most, to design and create beautiful, happy clothes.  I am still waiting for it to happen full-time but I am getting there.

Being at Slim's is only the beginning.  Being there is a progress on its own.  There was a time I was only dreaming of being enrolled in a fashion school and look, I am in my Advanced class now.   Plus, who knew that I would be blessed enough to be part of the school's exhibits for two consecutive years and be guided by Mr. Mark Higgins?  His generosity is beyond.  And he is elegant.  It is what I always notice when I see him.  I really need to include that because he really is.

The exhibit alone is a reflection of the school's owners' character.  I am wowed by how selfless they are in sharing the spotlight with the students through its annual exhibit.  A rarity especially in big institutions.  The way they care for creative talents is priceless and special.

That school has full of heart and advocacy.


Success is...

When I was in college, the definition of success was geared towards who you would be and what "big" company you would be hired.  Something that I felt so focused on title and money until today.

While at Slim's, they encourage its students to be themselves, be disciplined, and pursue excellence.  I read in an article about them, if their students will put up their own shops, that would be mission accomplished according to Sir Mark.  In the same article, Ms. Sandy mentioned that "Filipinos are artisanal."  I just have to agree with what they said.  It has made me feel since reading it, it is alright to start small, to grow slowly but surely, and to put up the clothing business here because there is so much potential for Philippine fashion to grow in the country and be global.

With Ms. Sandy and Sir Mark.  Photo by Glyn Alley Magtibay
Learning patience

Truly patience is key in pursuit of a dream.  It took a while to manifest or even start it but I have learned that a delay is not necessarily a No.

I never doubted my dream.  But of course, I get impatient.  I did not know that it would require so much time.  A lot of time.  I guess, it needs to be like that.  To realize that I am serious about this and that the industry is not a joke nor pure glamour.  It requires hardwork, commitment, and humility. There is always someone better than you AND know and feel that it is okay as long as you are true to your vision and committed in pursuing excellence, you will be alright.  The right people will notice. And in the process, you will find yourself joyful and proud of other's successes, too.

Read the article

Truly, everything will happen in God's perfect time.  Thank you God.

Thank you Sir Mark, Ms. Sandy and Ms. Salvacion Lim. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment