Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Priceless win

Here's a jacket design contest I won in college before I graduated.  Just when I thought my fashion dream and daydream had left me, this happened just six or five months away from graduation.

Two of my designs garnered the highest votes but this white one had gotten more votes than the black.

You could only imagine the joy I was feeling seeing my schoolmates wearing it.  It felt even better to know that they bought it not because they knew me but because they loved it.

My prize... this jacket! I got it for free!  It was a huge deal because I had no money back then.  I mean I had no money for extra-curricular expenses.  And the best prize of all, the realization that I have truly wanted to become a fashion designer.

I knew at that moment that I would love to see more women wear my designs and the clothes I am going to produce.

The original proposal was striped bands for the waist and cuffs and the swirls was supposed to be embroidered; apparently, it didn't happen because the student council told me, that would be very expensive and students might hesitate to buy.

I am still glad with the result.  Silkscreen printing was huge at that time.  And looking at that jacket now, after six years, the print has not faded yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment