Sunday, February 21, 2016

Art Fair Philippines 2016 - Part 1


Yesterday, I thought we were only going to a small art fair or bazaar.  My friend didn't explain when she invited me last week.  It was going to be free for Makati students so I didn't expect much but was excited because I would love to see paintings and art installations.  We walked from Slim's to Greenbelt 5 to the Link!  When we get there, a lot of people were lined up outside and all seemed excited to get inside.  I didn't know it was a huge art event that is happening in Makati every year.  I got excited too.


There is a certain joy to see people with the similar enthusiasm with the arts gather together and enjoy the works of Filipino artists.  A lot of people love arts; and yesterday, it was evident.  It's inspiring to see that Makati nurtures the art and culture of the country,  What they do always reminds me why I like Makati so much.  Makati make it happen... or maybe the Ayalas make it happen. :)

It was held at The Link and even I was having a bad headache, that seemed to go away as soon as we got inside.  From an hour plan, it became almost 3 hours.  And it wasn't enough to see and appreciate everything.  I am excited to witness this again next year.

I found myself drawn to works that were interactive, three dimensional, or extremely minimal.

Here are my favorites from the Art Fair.

Mark Justiniani - LEDs, reflective media, objects

I was very lucky to see this because it was located to where I thought was a CR, lol.  I got curious.  When I got in, it was pitch-black dark.  Quite scary.  Then, I saw this first and I immediately thought, "optical illusion."  It felt real.  Looking down felt like you were really about to fall. 



And this what seemed like a hallway -a long hallway leading to you don't know where.  I looked at the back to see if it was long, but it was only a flat screen, a different image was on the other side of it. Galing!



And for the finale, it was wide!  A train tunnel?  It was a tunnel.  Very dark.  A lot of people were impressed.  Me, too.  It was scary.  It takes you to a place you wouldn't want to be because it would be really scary to walk here alone.


I wanted to go nearer but everyone was taking pictures but a little girl bravely went in front and I was glad she did.  I got a shot where it captured the whole point and experience of the work.




Fernando Zobel - Oil on canvas

I was walking and saw an extremely  simple abstract painting that has a peaceful quality into it.  First one I have seen that was uncomplicated to look at.  Quiet, calm, still.  Its soothing appeal made me want to come closer to it.  The paintings looked familiar so I checked who made it.  It was Fernando Zobel.  Wow.  I have always wanted to go to Ayala museum to see his works and yesterday I saw some of them.







Globe Telecom Interactive Art









Valerie Chua - Oil on canvas

I love this painting.  I love the use of color and the style of the painter itself - very feminine.



It has a larger version.



Ferdie Cacnio - Welded brass on stone








Aparador, bote, salamin

My bad, I wasn't able to get the artists' names for these but these were also my favorites.
These reminded me of the typical vanity tables and mirrors of a Filipina.  I do these, too!



Another enclosed space, somehow interactive also.  "I have a secret."
It took me to a very personal space, the bedroom.  And, it reminded so much of the painting I have from CJ de Silva.  Vinatge-y and pinterest-y.   Our bedrooms are our first Pinterest and Instagram.





















Moma and National Bookstore Displays
I want these!






No comments:

Post a Comment