Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A healthy shift

"It's all in the mind," as told by my office friend.

I made a list of healthy things I could do that I would like to share with everybody regarding the night work schedule.  You may find these helpful, too.  These are based on personal observations.

Goal:
: Eat and opt for healthy meals.
: Eat more fruits and vegetables.
: Avoid salty and fat-laden meals. Practice smart snacking.
: Drink a lot of water. A lot of it.
: Avoid heavy breakfast after shift.  Eat before going to work instead.  (still observing...)
: Prefer brewed coffee over instant, it is more effective and satisfying.
: Move more.

Problems encountered on night shift:
: I wanted to eat carbo-loaded meals every time.  Not really sweets but carbs.
: Bloated and puffy appearance.
: Digestion, I do not bowel as often.
: Sleeping immediately after eating.
: Interrupted sleep.
: Exercise time. Exercising after shift gave me disrupted sleep.  It is advisable I do not do it again. So, I tried doing yoga in the meantime and for running, maybe on weekends.  Opt for yoga and do it before shift.

Benefits:
: I begin to taste my food and really enjoy it, I noticed.
: My being a night person is still in me.  Still a night person, I suppose.
: I am surrounded with more people, which I need.  I had isolated myself enough, I need people.
: I begin to feel the need to observe and practice healthy eating. (like today...)
: Productivity increases.  I am more energized to work.
: I quite don’t spend a lot.  I actually don’t.
: I get to witness a sunrise and the night sky, so beautiful.
: Seeing that I am beginning to put more on the benefits list than on the problems.

Healthy Meals:
Drinks: Brewed coffee, tablea cocoa, tea, water
Meals: I'll keep you posted, still researching how. It could mean, learning how to prepare and even "cook" healthy options.

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment